Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Potato Pancakes

This is another recipe from my childhood! My dad has always been a fantastic cook, but he was always so busy with work and such when I was a kid that he rarely got a chance to. But when he did, this was one of his famous recipes that I (even to this day!) begged him to make! Some people call them potato pancakes, others call them latkes...po-ta-to  po-tah-to! I've finally gotten the hang of making the dish and am glad that I can share the tradition with Ryan as well! The key to this recipe, and dad's number one rule...it MUST be served with applesauce, baked beans, and over easy eggs. This is not a negotiation! You get a little bit of each side dish along with the pancake in the same bite and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven! Definitely a heavier dinner but beyond delicious. Here's the recipe:


Take 5-6 good sized Yukon gold potatoes and clean them well. Peel the skins off and then grate into a bowl (you can always use a food processor for this but dad always said it's just not the same as when you hand grate them!). Next, take a medium sized onion and grate it up as well into the same bowl as the potato. Now comes the most important step, dump the shredded potato and onion into either a colander or clean dish towel and try to remove as much liquid as you can. The drier the mixture, the less it will fall apart when you go to fry them up! Dump the shredded mixture back into a large bowl. Into the bowl, add 1 large egg and a few tablespoons of flour (I used King Arthur: Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and it turned out just as delicious!). Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything together really well. Heat up a frying pan to med-high temperature and fill with approximately 1-2 inches of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, take a handful of the potato mixture and mold it into a thin patty (the thinner it is, the less likely you'll have a raw center, 1/4-1/2 inch thick is usually good), then place carefully into the oil. Watch the pancake carefully and flip when golden brown. Cook the opposite side until also golden brown, then remove from the oil and let it drain on some paper towels on a plate. You can preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and place the finished ones inside if you wish to keep the pancakes warm while you're cooking the rest. Serve warm WITH applesauce, over easy eggs, and baked beans.
ENJOY!!

4 comments:

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

My mom used to make these for me when I was little and I have never been able to replicate them (they fall apart). I LOVE them so I am definitely keen to give these a try!

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

yum :) I will take two.

Alli said...

Noah loves these! His mom makes them for him still when he comes home.

Emily said...

NOM NOM NOM!!! We should ask Dad to make this dinner soon. We haven't had it in AGES!