Parsley, Rosemary, Oregano, & Cilantro
I'd been telling my roommates for months that I wanted to start some sort of an herb garden on our deck. I decided to actually follow through with the idea and test out my green thumb! I decided to plant a few of the key herbs that I tend to purchase alot for my cooking. This includes rosemary, oregano, cilantro, flat leaf italian parsley, basil, and mint! I've already gotten to use them in several dishes and am so excited to continue! I'm actually planning on adding another basil plant to the group because we all love pesto sauce so much! Here's the recipe:
A food processor works the best for this recipe but we improvised and used a blender! Put approximately 2 cups of basil leaves, 3 cloves of peeled garlic (you can add more or less of this depending on your taste), and 1 cup parmesan cheese into the food processor and blend until the mixture is well ground. Remove the cap from the top of the processor and slowly pour 1/2 cup of olive oil into the mixture while blending. Mix ingredients well and if the consistency is still thick for your preference feel free to add more olive oil. You can also add 1/4 cup of pine nuts or walnuts if you'd like to add some more texture to the sauce! Pour sauce over your choice of pasta (I love to use the g.f. fusifella pasta!). We also like to grill up some slices of chicken and mix it in as well.
ENJOY!
The DELICIOUS pesto sauce that my wonderful roommate made with my homegrown basil!

A shot of the plants on the deck!

Mint in sweet tea! Oh sweet summer time!


2 comments:
Noms! We made an alfredo sauce tonight and I'm convinced that I must add some cilantro from our little garden tomorrow. :)
I'll have to try your recipe. I wonder if I can use a cup of thai basil and one cup regular basil. I, oddly, have a thai basil plant but it's not quite as grown as my cilantro. We'll see!
Noah would seriously love me forever if I made him some pesto!
OK. I have been wanting to start an herb garden for years...you have now inspired me to do it. One question, do they like full sun, partial? etc...where would be the best place for me to put one? You know our yard...ideas? Thanks.
Post a Comment