Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. You'll need a 10" tube pan with a removable bottom for this recipe! Take out a small bowl and combine 1 1/4 cups of confectioners' sugar, 2/3 cup of brown rice flour (the finer the grind, the better the cake's texture will be!), 1/4 cup of potato starch (NOT potato flour!), 4 tablespoons of tapioca flour, 1/2 a teaspoon of xanthum gum (guar gum will work well for this too if you don't have xanthum gum!). Sift together these ingredients several times and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine 12 large egg whites, 1 1/2 teaspoons of cream of tarter, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract. With an electric mixer, begin blending on a medium speed until the mixture begins to foam a bit.
Begin to gradually increase the speed to high. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar (until you've reached a total of 1 cup of granulated sugar) at a time while beating the mixture on high. Don't scrape the bowl while beating! Beat until the sugar has fully dissolved and the egg whites begin to form stiff peaks.
Begin to fold in the flour mixture 1 cup at a time using a rubber spatula, then pour the mixture into the ungreased 10" pan. Make sure to break up any air bubbles and smooth the batter out. Bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when touched. The surface should look dry and slightly cracked.
Turn the cake pan over onto the neck of a bottle and allow to cool completely. Loosen the edges of the cake with a knife and remove from the pan. I love to serve this recipe with sliced strawberries or any other type of seasonal fruit! Happy fourth of July weekend!
Enjoy!
5 comments:
Hmm... I can't see the photos. I can't tell if it's my computer or the actual images. :(
Anyways - it was DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for bringing and sharing. :) What a great way to make a sweet gluten free treat!
hello! welcome to the blog world and happy 4th july to you. i am your newest follower
:) come and visit me at mirrorofmyworld.blogspot.com
xx
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving your sweet comment! This cake looks delicious! Blogging is a crazy venture, it definitely took me quite a while to figure out what I really wanted my corner of blogland to be, but now I'm just lovin' it! Stop by any time, I'd love to hear from you, and I'm sure I'll be back here :) You have a lovely blog.
You have some great people here /\.
I'm glad your pictures are working now! This was delicious - thanks so much for letting me try it!
I wonder if the cake would come out any better if you turn the pan over the bottle neck of a Corona instead of that old Bud you got there?! ;)
Post a Comment